<< Culture Wars | G101 | World Government >>
Global Moral, Religious, and Political Values
In this module you will:
- Examine how your own religious and political views fit into the global landscape
- Learn how to make use of the Freedom House site and database
- Take the Global Values Quiz
Do you have personal moral, religious, or political beliefs that you believe either already are, or should be, universal?
Go to http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
Briefly explore the Freedom House site, an organization that rates the degree of freedom in all the major countries of the world: http://www.freedomhouse.org. Note in particular http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=414&year=2008. You may wish to look up your own country, or a country that you have visited, in the table. Where does your country stand in each of the categories of freedom?
1. About what percent of the global population shares your religious beliefs (or religious upbringing)?
2. In 1973, about what percentage of the world's countries were rated as "free" or "partly free"? How did this change by 2008? (Hint: Analysis > Freedom in the World > Freedom in the World Comparative and Historical Data)
3. What sorts of values and education do you think the people in free countries will have?
4. Do you think your own viewpoint on religious or political matters would prevail in an open world-wide debate?
Click HERE for answers.